05 June 2006

On the other side

So I've come through what seems to be a rather weird ride. Whatever caused me to pretty much collapse and have difficulty breathing, resulting in a rush to the emergency room, has gone. I have not been able to link it to anything that I ate. I'm thinking that somehow my body was telling me to slow down a bit. Perhaps.

I've had a CAT scan, 24 hour heart monitor and blood tests done. I'm getting sick of all these blood tests. My arm skin is a slightly yellow colour around the region where all the needles have gone in. I feel like a pin cushion.

I think the weirdest experience I had was during my CAT scan. I was just laying there and all of a sudden I had one of the "episodes" as I now call it. A really weird feeling, like it triggered something to happen. That, and the iodine I had pumped into my body later for the contrast scan. The iodine first made my chest feel warm, then my bladder, and then I had a metallic taste in my mouth. Complete and utter weirdness.

It was also pretty weird having wires attached to my body for 24 hours. I had what looked like a massive walkman around my hip, which recorded the heart patterns to a tape. Yeah, no digital tech there. I was thinking how cool it would be to reverse the flow of signals and put a drum and bass tape in ... I wonder how I'd handle 160bpm. hehe. Of course, I can't work with tape technology anymore as I don't have the equipment. Yeah, bugger.

Other than that I now have a massive cough, worse than I've ever had a cough before. This I think is unrelated. Emphasis on "think". What I do know however is that I can pretty much do exactly what I did the day I had the episode and I'll be fine. It took me two weeks to recover from the episode ... I don't want that happening again.

Whatever the case, the tests have been done and I visit my doctor this week. I'm pretty sure that if anything bad came up I'd know about it by now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to hear you're on the mend - you had me worried there for a while.

Matt F.