29 July 2004

Please, put that voodoo doll away

Do not believe Australia Post's "Guaranteed next day delivery" service. It didn't work for me when I most needed it. I was keeping track of the progress of the posting of my Visa and passport using the express post tracking number. The US consulate posted the Visa/passport package out a day later than expected. That's ok - I planned for this and had delayed the outgoing flight by a day. Actually, that plan would have worked quite well if Australia Post could have delivered the package in time (or to the right place). I called up Australia Post five times throughout the day and they said varying things like "It'll probably arrive at 5 or 6pm" to "It was scanned in this morning at 7:30am" to "It's been delivered already". I interpret this as "We don't actually know where it is". Actually, a lot of the times they asked "Have you checked your mail?" Well, yes I had. I couldn't find it because it hadn't been delivered yet. That's why I called you. Then I started thinking "Maybe I put the wrong address on the express post envelope" and "Maybe I put my address on the wrong side". Well, no, I'm pretty darn sure I put the right info down. I can remember checking once, checking again, and checking a third time to be sure. Anyway, the package had made it to my state and to the closest post office sorting facility to my workplace. I don't know of any other addresses out that side of town either.

Now everything has been re-booked for a day later. I'm tired, generally unwell, exhausted, and no doubt am looking like crap. I've been working overtime on my project as it is because Florida was the light at the end of the tunnel. Ok, fair enough, assuming I receive the package tomorrow then heya! I'm going overseas so I should be happy about that and I will seem like a massive whinger. But bloody hell Australia Post, if you have lost my Visa and passport...

No comments: