20 January 2005

Stupid

I was in my third project meeting on Monday, having been on my new project for two weeks. Things weren't going so well. My computer was set up completely wrong for the sort of work I was required to do so I was working with the systems support group to get those problems resolved. Plus, as with any new project, there is a thing call ramp up time. Or, time taken trying to understand what the hell you're supposed to be doing. That takes a while. So, combine computer not working properly with ramp up and you've got a bad start.

Anyway, the reason I got put on the project was because someone said I was supposed to be a fast learner, that I was supposed to be what they call "smart". I can be a smart arse sometimes but that's about it I reckon. I gave my new project manager the low down on why I was a couple of days behind some of the other guys in the group. She just looked at me and said "I thought you were supposed to be smart?" My response? Nothing really. What the hell am I supposed to say to that??? I had a good laugh at it later on and it's the joke of the week with my friends and former technical lead (who I believe is the one who stated that I was "smart").

Needless to say, I'm not behind in my work anymore and if anything I'm even a little ahead - but it took a little unpaid overtime to get there. Now I'm thinking I'm actually not that smart and my manager was right. I think I walked right into this little trap that she set for me. And get that dangling carrot out of my face.

1 comment:

chica bonita said...

hahaha..there's a whole lot of different perception on 'smartness' i suppose. anyway, glad you pulled thru at the end.