13 September 2004

A stupid weekend

If anyone asked me what I did on the weekend, I'd have to be given some time to think about that. I sure as hell know what I felt - incredibly pissed off. In fact, I haven't been that angry in a long time. Long story short, someone was supposed to catch a flight out on Saturday and we couldn't find them anywhere as we were going to drive them to the airport. I spent 5 hours trying to locate this person and nearly got to the point of calling local hospitals. The hotel didn't know where the person was - they were supposed to check out but hadn't changed their hotel booking. At 8:30pm Saturday night, just as I was about to drive to work to attempt to find out flight details, the person showed up. They'd changed their flights till the next day and had spent the afternoon having fun in South Beach. The person didn't let us know this because they didn't want to wake us up. F$#K OFF! That has to be the lamest excuse I've ever heard and when they told me that that I got in my car and sped off back to my apartment. I tried to spin the wheels but an Oldsmobile Alero is too gutless for that. I was just so angry I couldn't actually say anything. Not only did that incident stuff up my whole Saturday afternoon it also stuffed up my whole Saturday night. I was planning on going out and meeting some people in South Beach but of course that didn't happen because it was too late to get ready and head off to Miami. Yeah, I'm still pretty angry about that.

Sunday was a much better day. I went swimming at Ft Lauderdale and was thinking how nice it would be to have a hammock. There was a guy later on who'd obviously had that idea before and had set up a hammock between two palm trees. What I saw next was just plain cool - he had a pet squirrel on a leash! I sat there watching the squirrel run around for a little while. I wish I had a camera with me at the time.

Talking about things on leashes, in downtown Ft Lauderdale the previous night I saw a couple walking around. They looked like a pretty normal couple until I noticed that the guy was holding a leash... that was attached to a collar around the woman's neck. I'd heard that Key West (notorious for that sort of stuff) had been evacuated due to Hurricane Ivan (which will miss this part of Florida by a long shot) so that couple must have taken up temporary residence in Ft Lauderdale. Yerrrrr...

No comments: